Monday 24 March 2014

Opposition to councillors going to conference

An item at tonight’s Social Work Committee sought instruction regarding elected member attendance at the annual conference of the Association of Directors of Social Work. It is to take place at Crieff Hydro Hotel  at a cost of £399 plus vat per person excluding travel and subsistence allowances.

The committee convenor proposed one member from the administration group of councillors attend and one from the opposition councillors. I put forward an amendment that no elected members attend. It has always been my view that there is no need for councillors to attend conferences, especially at a time when we have to make every penny count. Instead I think it is perfectly acceptable for council managers who attend  conferences in their professional capacity to cascade any information to councillors on their return.

I had previously sought to delete the amount for councillors attending conferences from the council’s 2014/15 budget so my approach has been consistent

My amendment was defeated by 15 votes to 12.