Monday 6 January 2014

Potholes needing attention

I had a busy couple of surgeries on Saturday; I received a lot of complaints about potholes and the condition of our roads in general. This issue was raised with me more than any other issue last year and it looks like it will be the same this year.

Brought to my attention on Saturday were potholes in Maule Street and another pothole in Queen Street near Brae Cottage residential home. I was also asked about the deteriorating condition of the carriageway at the junction of Claypotts Road/Brook Street/Westfield Road/Dundee Road and in Whinny Brae.

I have made the roads maintenance partnership aware of these locations. It usually responds very effectively and any actionable defects are repaired to ensure safety is maintained however I have also asked about the likelihood of more permanent repairs being carried out at the locations where there is considerable wear and tear.

At the council's budget meeting in 2012 the Conservative Group tried to get more resources allocated to road reconstructions by diverting funding proposed for the redevelopment of the environment department’s headquarters. Unfortunately our proposal didn’t win the support of the majority of the councillors.