Sunday 10 January 2016

Perseverance pays off

As a councillor I always try to get a positive outcome to constituent enquiries as quickly as possible, but sometimes a matter comes up that takes a while to resolve- and these nearly always are what ought to be the simplest of issues to action. 
 
For example, during the last couple of years I have been trying to get Royal Mail to remove a redundant grey pouch box on Dundee Road near to the junction with Home Street. Local residents had expressed concern about it and it was considered that removing it would improve the line of sight for vehicles emerging from Home Street.
 
To cut a long story short, I contacted Royal Mail’s customer service team about it many times, as did Dundee City Council, as did local residents. On four occasions I was advised that a works order to have it removed had been placed with contractors yet the box still remained stubbornly in place. Before Christmas, in exasperation, I wrote to Moya Green, the chief executive of Royal Mail, asking for her assistance and I’m pleased to report that the box was removed earlier this week. The pictures show what was there before and what isn’t there now!