Friday 13 November 2015

Claypotts Pond

A resident contacted me about the condition of the retaining wall in Claypotts Pond adjacent to Balgillo Road.  
 
I asked the city engineer’s office if it could be checked  to confirm that it is in a safe condition and I have since been advised that the wall is plumb and in a reasonable state of repair, although the coping is spalled and cracked along its length. It seems this has been caused by expansion from the corrosion of the metal railings which are embedded into the coping, and the type of coping used is also vulnerable to freeze-thaw action. Currently the defects are primarily considered to be of aesthetic concern.
 
I‘m told that remedial works would ideally comprise of renewing paintwork to the railings and reforming the half round coping stone in a more durable material.  I have asked the Environment Department to consider carrying out these actions.