Thursday 27 August 2015

Conferences

There was an item considered at this week’s Policy and Resources Committee regarding conferences. A report was tabled recommending that the council’s chief executive be given delegated authority to approve the attendance of councillors at conferences and certain one-off events. I appreciate that some business has to be delegated to officers to ensure the efficient running of the council but I don’t think this falls into that category.
 
Until now attendance at conferences required to be specifically authorised by committee for each event. It is my view that decisions to send councillors to conferences should be transparent and made in public so that taxpayers can see how their money is being spent.
 
Personally I don’t agree that there is a need to send councillors to conferences, especially at a time when the council has to make significant savings in its budget. Instead I think it is perfectly acceptable for council managers who attend conferences in their professional capacity to cascade any information to councillors on their return. Conferences are very expensive; some of them cost hundreds of pounds per attendee, and I think the money could be better spent.
 
At the meeting I moved that the attendance of elected members at conferences or one-off events should remain within the remit of the relevant council committee to ensure on going public scrutiny of this expenditure. My amendment won the support of the opposition councillors but was defeated by the SNP majority.