Thursday 6 February 2014

Proposal for budget savings

Yesterday I submitted my proposals for additional savings in the council’s 2014/15 revenue budget for consideration by the Policy and Resources Committee on 13 February. 

They are the same items I asked to be deleted from the budget last year but as they weren’t accepted by the SNP administration at that time I am having another go. 

Included are £9,000 for alcohol purchases, £7,200 for food and refreshments for councillors, £1,000 for councillors’ attendance at conferences and £28,800 for hospitality in various council departments.

The amount in the budget for alcohol purchases last year was £6,916, this year it has gone up to £9,000, an increase of about 30%. People might be surprised by this large increase particularly when so many other things are being cut.

The £28,800 hospitably saving I am proposing doesn’t include what is spent in the City Chambers. The only impact on civic events would be that alcohol wouldn’t be one of the beverages served.

I have also proposed a 1% reduction in energy costs which would save £33,000. In its proposal the SNP administration is expecting to see a 5% reduction in energy usage across the school estate in 2014/15 and 10% reduction in 2015/16. That being the case I think a 1% reduction in energy costs across all other council buildings is achievable.

I have met with a lot of council officers to discuss the budget and I have received representations from organisations and individuals about the impact some of the administrations proposals will have. Those who have contacted me, in the main, have been concerned about the 3% reduction in funding to external service providers and the removal of early years practitioners from primary schools. I’m sure that the SNP councillors will have received similar representations and I am happy for them to put the savings I have identified towards measures to lessen the impact of their proposals.