Friday 7 September 2012

It's about time our roads and pavements were repaired

Fairfield Road before it was resurfaced.
It has a sunken utility track  running along its entire length.
I have frequently called on Dundee City Council to take action to deal with its multi million pound backlog of roads maintenance and I have often highlighted locations that are in need of attention.

The 2012/13 carriageway resurfacing programme includes: Panmure Terrace, between Abercromby Street and Guthrie Terrace; Camphill Road, from Campfield Road to Castleroy Road; Fairfield Road, from Strathern Road to Arbroath Road; Torridon Road; Albany Place and Churchill Place

I have driven along the newly resurfaced Torridon Road, Fairfield Road and Panmure Terrace; what a difference!

I'm pleased that these roads have been or are soon to be resurfaced but many other locations in the area are in desperate need of repair. The state of our roads and pavements is the number one issue raised with me by constituents and it was just about the only thing people wanted to speak to me about as I made my way round the doors during the recent council election campaign.

I have always been of the view that local authorities should concentrate on getting basic services right and you can’t get more basic than providing level road surfaces and trip hazard free pavements. Broughty Ferry householders pay a large amount in council tax and it’s about time the roads and pavements were repaired.